African population in my next post, I would like to introduce one of the true gems of fashion
accessories made in Africa: THE KIKOY
The kikoy was worn since centuries by the peoples on the East African shorelines. They are 100% cotton woven cloths measuring 170x90 cm, fitting woman, children and men. Originally they were woven in national flag primary colours and are either plain with stripes on the edges, or with thin stripes throughout with a hand knotted fringe. Kikoys are today sought after by the fashionistas of the whole world, Madonna, Princess Caroline of Monaco and Prince Harry are only a few ot them. Since the discovery of the almost magic piece of fabric +-10 years ago, they are also woven in beautiful pastel colors. Many women in Africa make a living out of working on and fringing the kikoys.
I am so in love with my kikoys!
Some of my friends kindly agreed to model for this site.
Here I list only some of the "modern" ways in which one can use a kikoy, and you will see that it is an absolutely must have item which brings African sunshine into your life and your home, your holidays and your highly fashionable sarong-wrap-scarves-decor style accessories.
- Easy wear flattering sarong for all shapes and sizes
- Great for the guys too! The cotton is robust and strong
- Light and absorbent beach towel
- After a busy day; step into a Kikoy and relax
- Sun wrap to shade your shoulders in the car
- Warm pashmina wrap for the shoulders when the cool weather strikes
- Stylish scarf for the cooler night
- Tablecloth to brighten your day
- Desert wrap for easy wear bush camping
- Handy addition to the picnic basket
- On a balmy night, lay back on the kikoy and count the stars in the inky blue sky
- Beautiful, colourful throw for the lounge and bedroom
- Alfresco tablecloth in the garden
- Snug as a bug in a rug. Wrap the babies in the cotton soft Kikoy
- Children’s Beach Towel is a great gift for a new MUM.
- Ideal size as a colourful cover in the pram
- Perfect as a play mat and handy change mat in the babies bag
- “Dress ups” for the little kids
- Travel the seven seas with the perfect accompaniment – a couple of kikoys
- Gift a Kikoy to friends or family travelling overseas. It will be the best item in their luggage
- Don’t forget to pack a Kikoy in your cabin luggage. Wrap around your shoulders when the cabin air cools. If your luggage goes missing, you have a versatile Kikoy to rely on!
- Wrap your baby or puppy around you, or make a hammock for them
- Wear it as a headdress (turban)
For many more ways to use or wear a kikoy, please see my pin board at http://pinterest.com/majackie11/sunbird-arts-and-crafts-south-africa/
Travel tips from “The Sunday Times”
“Best and most versatile item of clothing for men or women is a dark coloured sarong and a couple of big safety pins. It will make a skirt, dress, top, pants, a beach or bath towel, or an extra bag. You can sleep in it too. Use it as a sheet to keep out mossies, cover a pillow or privacy screen to pin around a bunk bed. You can change clothes under it or cover up to enter temples. And it can also provide a bit of shade when tied to a tree. It is easy to wash and quick to dry and takes up no space at all.”
Jen Heal, “The Sunday Times” January 6 2008
I have a wide variety of kikoys for sale @ a low South African price of R 250 incl. postage to SA only. The airmail or courier charges are ridiculous! But if anyone wants an original Kikoy from Tanzania, I can quote for the shipping.
contact me at : email@example.com
contact me at : firstname.lastname@example.org
SEE YOU ON MY NEXT POST,